“The key to success is to make your vocation a vacation.” –Mark Twain
With amazing clients continually seeing results, a highly supportive staff, and my own gym, I highly agree with this quote.
This is partly why I work over the holidays. The other part is I pretty much have to for the January influx we see each year.
Just like most of you, I’m stuck behind a desk.
It’s funny, the more my training business grows, the more I’m sitting at a desk. And the more I’m sitting at a desk, the more muscle imbalances I’m starting to see flare up again.
Forward head posture, rounded shoulders, tight hip flexors… I’ve also seen an increase in body fat, even though nothing has changed in my workout or eating.
I’ve come to realize, sitting at a desk under prolonged stress is horrible for your body no matter how much you train.
Since we can’t “out-train” the negative effects from sitting all day, can we reverse them?
I’ve always told my clients, it’s more important what you do between exercise sessions than during them. Increased recovery, better posture, and boost in metabolism will help you burn fat, build muscle, and hit the gym hard during your next session.
All you need is a set of mini exercise bands.
I love mini exercise bands for my clients and I for a ton of reasons. Some of the benefits of using mini bands are:
– They are tiny, so you can take them anywhere: golf course, gym bag, desk
– Great for corrective exercises and reverse posturing
– Can be used for strength training
– You can progressively overload movements with different band tensions
– You can use them anywhere
Having mini bands in the comfort of your office to break up your hours at the desk, can have amazing effects on your posture and physique.
Take 2 minutes out of your work and do 1-2 of these exercises every 30-60 minutes throughout the day.
I will be delivering a set of exercise bands as well as the 10 best exercise one sheets to local offices throughout December and January, but here’s a sneak peak of 4 of my favorite exercises from the one sheet:
- Because your hips are flexed all day, the glutes become inactive and weak. Doing the reverse posture with this exercise will help you counteract that.
- Step 1: Place one mini band around the outside of your knees.
- Step 2: Lying flat on your back with your feet close to your butt, bridge your hips up to the sky. Repeat for 8-15 repetitions
- The hips are anatomically the biggest muscle in the human body. Hack your metabolism by firing them up throughout the day
- Step 1: Seated, place your feet flat double shoulder width apart
- Step 2: Bring your knees together
- Step 3: Drive your knees outwards as far as you can
- Step 4: Repeat for 10-40 repititions
“Office Chair Squats”
- The key to increasing your metabolism is to activate as much muscle as possible. With the band tension with the upper body, you are using your upper as well as lower body to execute this move.
- Step 1: Attach 2 mini bands together. Wrap each side around the outside of your hands.. Pull them apart with your palms down. and hold.
- Step 2: Place the top of one foot on your chair, with the other foot flat on the ground 2-3 feet in front of you
- Step 3: Drop the back knee to the ground, and drive thru the front heel to rise your body back up. Repeat for 4 to 10 repetitions per side
“Morning Coffee Row”
- Strengthening your back muscles will help your upright posture
- Step 1: Attach 2 mini bands together. Wrap one side around your foot and grab the other side with your opposite hand.
- Step 2: Split your stance, and angle your torso forward by hinging at your hips.
- Step 3: Row the band towards the sky. Repeat for 8-12 reps per side.
Keep an eye out on my social media for the other 6: instagram: @DCFitness_310 and Facebook.com/DylanConradFitness